[Nix-dev] ghc --enable-multi-instance, the end of cabal hell ?

Miguel Negrão miguel.negrao-lists at friendlyvirus.org
Sat Sep 19 13:30:58 CEST 2015

Hi list,

I saw this on reddit today:

http://blog.ezyang.com/2015/09/is-no-reinstall-cabal-coming-to-ghc-8/

Could the infrastructure used for this in ghc help in nixos ? It seems in
ghc 7.10 a flag --enable-multi-instance was added to ghc-pkg "which makes
ghc-pkg no longer error if you attempt to add multiple copies of the same
package in the database". Wouldn't this mean no more conflicts when packages
that a package depends on, need to use different version of the same package
? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding and this is not relevant for nixos ? I'm
quite sure I already encountered this issue in nixos before...

Thanks,
Miguel