[Nix-dev] Nix logo poll results

Tim Cuthbertson tim at gfxmonk.net
Mon Sep 21 12:18:30 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Thanks to all who voted on the nix logo poll[0]! The voting has more
or less dropped off after about a week and about 140 responses, so
this seems like a good time to reveal the results.

[0]: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oMKuPCIz5bmUokrN6mllYpIDH7cmVQTzuZAcUdGH1HM/viewform

Google provides some neat graphs on the responses:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oMKuPCIz5bmUokrN6mllYpIDH7cmVQTzuZAcUdGH1HM/viewanalytics

### Main takeaways:

7% of respondents definitively want to keep the current logo. 32%
don't mind either way, and 52% are keen to adopt one of these new
logos. A further 9% want to change, but not to any of these options.

The favourite logo option presented is clearly the Hexagon outline +
alternating colours. 50% said this was their favourite logo, and 80%
consider it an improvement on the current logo. 9% consider it worse
than the current logo, and the remaining 10% are ambivalent.

The response to the "should we have a gradient version" is mixed. Half
the respondents don't care, while 28% being pro-gradient and 22%
pro-flat. That's a slight lean towards pro-gradient, but could
probably come to an executive decision if anyone wants to make it ;)

There were quite a few comments about the font - if anyone is keen, it
sounds like there's some enthusiasm for changing the font as well. If
we're changing the logo I'm happy to explore new fonts at the same
time, but I'm also happy for someone else to do that - I don't have
such strong opinions on the font.

### Raw responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nevqPzHhGXBAfB_I_4ESRArASPfr-2kYqzAIWz5Av9c/edit?usp=sharing

### Next steps:

So: the question is, what next? Is this enough of a critical mass to
proceed with a logo change? I feel like it is, but I am of course
biased ;). If we want to change the logo, how would we go about it?
Who do we need to get involved to make it happen?

Thanks all,
 - Tim.