[Nix-dev] Providing Debian, Arch etc. packages counterproductive?

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Tue Sep 22 22:03:38 CEST 2015

What does the deb exactly contain and take care of ?
I'm not sure of the boundary between the system package manager and nix.
For example once nix is installed I would expect the `nix` binary to be
managed by it, but if it's provided by the system package as well then it's
possible to have two versions installed. This in turn might leads to
confused users who just upgraded `nix` but are still having the old version.

On the other end, it would be nice if installing nix was just a matter of
running `curl -L https://nixos.org/nix-current/$(uname)-$(arch).tar.bz2 |
tar xa -C /nix && ln -s /nix/bin/nix-env /usr/local/bin` and then setup the
profile. But then making this cross-platform is going to be a challenge.