[Nix-dev] Providing Debian, Arch etc. packages counterproductive?

Adrien Devresse Adev at adev.name
Wed Sep 23 10:20:09 CEST 2015

An other point to consider is the integration aspect.

Nix requires a system install in a shared environment. The daemon needs
to be setup properly, group created, etc....
In most companies, the sysadmin will simply refuse to install on any
existing  shared system anything which is not packaged properly, and for
very good reasons.

Not providing platform specific packages will very likely slow down the
adoption of Nix in professional environment for such reasons.
I agree the platform specific packages have their own issues, but from
an administration point of view, they are needed.

Adrien