[Nix-dev] What license does the content of the nixos wiki and the manuals have?

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 03:48:34 CEST 2015

According to my understanding:

* 1st agree on a license for the wiki.
* we need to get all wiki contributors to agree on said license.
* we'll need a written statement from all wiki contributors, could be
something simple like "I agree to publish my contributions to the nixos
wiki under the X license" these statements could be on a new mailing list
thread. It'll be mundane receiving these mails but it's needed.

(longerterm strategy)
* The Nixos Foundation could use selected parts of the C4.1(
http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:22) particularly the licensing bits to create a
nixos contributors 'contract'. It /should/ be difficult but not impossible
to change the license of wiki, nix{pkgs,os,} as this prevents vendor
lockins / foundation / consortium clusterfuck takeovers where dishonest
agents could for example purchase the copyright to a codebase. i.e. what
happened to Berkeleydb and oracle.
* so far all the contribution copyrights to nix{os,pkgs} belong to the
contributors and not the nixos foundation. It is preferable (IMHO) that
copyright remain in the contributors hands and not the nixos foundation.
Foundations can be corrupted, this prevents sillybuggers happening in
foundations.

Personally, i'd prefer the whole nix{os,pkgs} to be a license like gpl3 or
mpl2. These licenses create prevent an org like redhat form forking and
sublicensing.

I am not a lawyer.

There are treasures of untold wealth in nixos let's at least properly
protect them.