[Nix-dev] NixOS-Wiki alternative. Was: What license does the content of the nixos wiki and the manuals have?

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Fri Sep 25 15:49:08 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 25/09/15 14:24, Matthias Beyer wrote:

> So, an idea came up - why not using static pages for all of this? If you
> want to do contributions via git, you can use github. If one want to
> host it, one can use github pages and build it with travis-ci. These
> things are documented and they _work_ for other people, so why not for
> a wiki?
>
> To be able to build pages with travis-ci and github pages, one needs a
> static site compiler.

This is essentially how the NixOS homepage is built, i.e., a git repository +
Template Toolkit + a makefile. And of course you can make pull requests on
GitHub. But I wouldn't call that a wiki, since you can't easily edit it from a
browser, or make it world-writable. But if we do want go that way, another
possibility is GitHub Pages + Jekyll.

The main advantage of using a GitHub wiki is that we then don't have to manage
user accounts and deal with spammers. But as you say, the downside is that we
can't customize much.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/