[Nix-dev] NixOS-Wiki alternative. Was: What license does the content of the nixos wiki and the manuals have?

Edward Tjörnhammar ed at cflags.cc
Fri Sep 25 16:19:32 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:53:24PM +1000, Jookia wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 03:49:08PM +0200, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 25/09/15 14:24, Matthias Beyer wrote:
> >
> > > So, an idea came up - why not using static pages for all of this? If you
> > > want to do contributions via git, you can use github. If one want to
> > > host it, one can use github pages and build it with travis-ci. These
> > > things are documented and they _work_ for other people, so why not for
> > > a wiki?
> > >
> > > To be able to build pages with travis-ci and github pages, one needs a
> > > static site compiler.
> >
> > This is essentially how the NixOS homepage is built, i.e., a git repository +
> > Template Toolkit + a makefile. And of course you can make pull requests on
> > GitHub. But I wouldn't call that a wiki, since you can't easily edit it from a
> > browser, or make it world-writable. But if we do want go that way, another
> > possibility is GitHub Pages + Jekyll.
> >
> > The main advantage of using a GitHub wiki is that we then don't have to manage
> > user accounts and deal with spammers. But as you say, the downside is that we
> > can't customize much.
>
> A huge disadvantage of using github tools are that they're proprietary, so
> people using free systems can't contribute (easily.) What about ikiwiki?

Actually I believe that you can edit github wiki pages by just cloning,
committing and pushing, as an example:

git clone https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx.wiki.git libgdx-wiki

I don't know if you can do PR's for wiki content but I guess so.

Also you could then clone that gitrepo and put that checkout as the
wikidata path to gitit, since pandoc can read github markdown, and point
to the mainpage using the gitit configuration option. You would of
course still need to poll the github wiki.. Also this would mean that
the contribution model doesn't really change since if you want to be
anonymous you can run your own gitit/nixos-wiki clone and then submit
patches back via email?