[Nix-dev] NixOS-Wiki alternative. Was: What license does the content of the nixos wiki and the manuals have?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:07:23 CEST 2015

On 09/25/2015 04:58 PM, Jookia wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 04:01:21PM +0200, Matthias Beyer wrote:
>> What do you mean by proprietary tools? Jekyll, Bundler, git - all open
>> source. The only thing which would be non-open source are the web
>> servers who host the generated html files and the travis-ci build
>> machines!
>
> github tools like github's wiki require nonfree code to run on your machine in
> the form of javascript to contribute properly. You may be able to get by without
> it but it's a huge pain in the neck.

The point is you won't have to use github. Just edit files in your local
checkout and commit it. For creating a PR you maybe do need it (though
the CLI interface probably can do that as well), but that's much more of
concern for the main nixpkgs code, not the wiki...

If people aren't much against Hakyll, I'll have a closer look during and
hopefully get a prototype during the weekend. I can maintain that
Haskell code long-term, if you like.

Vladimir