[Nix-dev] Setup GlusterFS server on NixOS machines

James wireless at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Sep 28 00:17:18 CEST 2015

rohit yadav <rohityadav7787 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am looking to setup a glusterFS or cephFS cluster. Has anyone worked on
this? I submitted an issue on github #9877 last week but received no
response. I would be grateful if anyone can help me.
> Rohit

Interesting. One of the NixOS guys just posted to planet.gentoo.org. As
a long time gentoo user, who has been working on building up the packages
necessary for a robust apache-mesos cluster, I find Nixos intriquing.

Specifically::

My goals are to not use HDFS (its a slug) in lieu of btrfs/cephfs.

In fact the main packages I need, seem to all be in nixos::

mesos, spark, zookeeper, marathon, storm and others. In fact all I could
find missing is 'tachyon'.

My goal with a *nix cluster is Big science; that is all the resources
working on a single big problem, like computational chemistry, subsurface
modelling, Massive video redering mixing graphics and lived video, CI, etc etc.

Is there a quorum of folks with similar interests?

I'm also testing openmp (clang-3.7.x) and RDMA via OpenACC (gcc-5.2) a like
minded community ?

Surely nixos is design for clusters ?

What packages does nixos have to implement and have graphical
representations of data via a DAG?

How difficult is it to use gentoo's ebuilds for nixos?
Is there a process to convert ebuilds for use on nixos?

PS, I'm not so found of Virtual Machines, as I'm a bare-metal kind of hack
really looking to migrate from amd to aarch64. Nixos does support aarch64
(arm64) right?

wwr,
James