[Nix-dev] Setup GlusterFS server on NixOS machines

James wireless at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Sep 28 16:28:03 CEST 2015

Roger Qiu <roger.qiu <at> polycademy.com> writes:

>         I have very similar goals. It would be great if there are more
>           individuals.

>             In fact the main packages I need, seem to all be in nixos::
>             mesos, spark, zookeeper, marathon, storm and others. In fact
>             all I could
>             find missing is 'tachyon'.

I have most of these packages in gentoo, except tachyon and spark. If we do
not find a quorum in nixos, as I know little about nixos other than what
I have recently read, then I'll just complete the gentoo ebuilds and
at that point I'll need folks to test and provide feedback. I also use
openrc (so it's a non-systemd) cluster effort on my path. But if
folks want to use systemd to build a mesos cluster, on gentoo, I think
that too is very possible, as gentoo supports both openrc and systemd.
Many are flocking to gentoo right now, because we have the best alternative
to systemd; openrc [1].

The clusters I'm interested in building, are optimized for performance::
not only in the kernel but direct control over cgroups [2] to opetimze
performance with bare-metal granularity over components. It's impossible to
get that with most distro oriented cluster offerings. This is necessary
to optimize a cluster for singularly large/complex tasks, like computational
chemistry, sub-surface modeling of fluid flows, complex graphics and video
rendering and analytics, just to name a few.
Furthermore, the 'bare metal' approach will all for optimizing all sorts
of distributed processing, available now via Clang-3.7.x (openmp)[3] and
gcc-5.2 (OpenAcc). [4,5.6]

Still, if nixos has all of this going on, the I'd like to test drive nixos.
Maybe one of the devs can whip together a lived CD 'howto' to see it run?
Then we can run a hi performance linpack on it (sys-cluster/hpl in gentoo)
to benchmark the nixos offering?

If you are interested, let's share emails and get a 'cluster club' started?

Curious?

James

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC

[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/CGroups