[Nix-dev] Using chromium from nixpkgs on non-NixOS

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Mon Sep 28 18:21:16 CEST 2015

Hey all,

I'm running Arch Linux on my desktop because I haven't been able to get
NixOS installed. It's an older Mac tower and last time I tried I ran into
issues <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/5829>. This is something I
hope to revisit in the near future, probably once 15.09 is released.

For now, I'm using nixpkgs as much as possible. Recently, I moved all the
packages I had installed as systemPackages on my laptop, which is running
NixOS, into an environment in .nixpkgs/config.nix <
https://github.com/purefn/dot-files/blob/master/dot/nixpkgs/config.nix> and
am managing them that way.

Because I share my dot-files on my laptop and desktop, this means that
chromium is now installed on my desktop through nixpkgs. When trying to
start chromium on my desktop I get the error

[28104:28104:0928/085508:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID
sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather
than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that
/nix/store/9c8019j611087855flmq7ll5jrhjpv4g-chromium-45.0.2454.93/libexec/chromium/chrome-sandbox
is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Aborted (core dumped)

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,