[Nix-dev] Feature request: replace the Darwin stdenv with the pure Darwin stdenv

Jude me at jude.bio
Wed Sep 30 21:48:11 CEST 2015

Hi all, pikajude here, maintainer of the pure-darwin stdenv in nixpkgs.

Over the past few days in ##nix-darwin, I've discovered that the impure Darwin stdenv on master is broken for nearly everyone due to Xcode 7's introduction of `.tbd` files for library stubs; see https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/4572 <https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/4572>.

As far as I have been able to investigate, .tbd compatibility is an Xcode 7-exclusive feature, and I'm not sure whether the changes required to use them are open-source yet. There is a temporary fix to downgrade to Xcode 6.4, but that will obviously only work for a limited time. For people who do use Xcode, I don’t want to restrict them to an older version because our nixpkgs stdenv completely fails at what it is intended to do.

This continues the precedent of OSX updates breaking parts of nixpkgs without warning.

pure-darwin mitigates this problem because the entire compiler toolchain and environment (save a symlink to libSystem, which won't be changing anytime soon) is in the Nix store. If I can get approval, I would love to replace the current Darwin stdenv with the pure one, because it would allow us to upgrade our toolchain on our own terms, as well as work nicely alongside any Xcode version a user would care to install.

I would also like to merge the pure stdenv because it will result in us getting Hydra builds for it, which is the main roadblock that turns people off of using pure-darwin. Having Hydra build the pure stdenv also gives us an easy way to see which packages are broken on pure-darwin.

Answers to some common questions:

Q: Does pure-darwin fix the missing -lgcc_s.10.5 problem?