[Nix-dev] How to install specific version of a package?

Nick Sabalausky bus_nixos_list at semitwist.com
Thu Aug 11 21:12:06 CEST 2016

In general, how do you install a specific version of a package? It seems
that by default it will install the latest available version like other
distros, but for the most part installing "packagename-1.2.3"/etc
doesn't appear to work.

One of the biggest killer features of NixOS for me is the ability to
sanely handle and manage different versions of the same package in
different environments. But that ability seems severely crippled if I
can't actually *install* any versions other than "latest" and "already
previously installed on this machine while it *was* the latest, and
hasn't yet been garbage collected".