[Nix-dev] Perl -> C++

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:36:50 CET 2016

Good god man, please stop using the term 'transpile', the correct term you
want is 'compile'.

If a new nix language backend is to be created the first step is to define
the nix language (using something like ABNF) as previously suggested.
Otherwise you open up a whole class of exploits, see Patterson et al on
Langsec.

On 7 Jan 2016 01:12, "Herwig Hochleitner" <hhochleitner at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I understand it, the primary motivation for reimplementing those tools
is to tighten the bootstrapping - cycle for new platforms. So while there
might many conveivable languages to do this in (I'd personally lean towards
an existing, self-hosted vm like pypy or racket), discussing just the
language misses the point.

One advantage using LLVM based languages: Rust targets LLVM IR. This IR can
be compiled to any backend available to LLVM (given a robust enough
implementation).

nim-lang is a dependency, gcc is a dependency, the question is: is the
dependency widely available on many platforms? I personally don't care
about this as long as there is a simple short set of instructions to setup.

Shall we start defining the nix language?