[Nix-dev] Flattening pkgs tree in nixpkgs/pkgs

Mathnerd314 mathnerd314.gph at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 02:28:33 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Tomasz Czyż <tomasz.czyz at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would suggest doing it by hosting site / provider: all KDE packages in
>> one directory, all GNOME in another, GNU in a third, SourceForge in a
>> fourth, Kernel.org in a fifth, etc., with a final "misc" directory for
>> one-package sites.
>>
> Looks like good way, but not sure about few things. So github.com whould
> be another provider?
> Seems like haskellPackages, pythonPackages, *Packages could follow that
> rule if we treat lang-repos as providers.

Yeah, language specific stuff should be their own directories.
GitHub/SF/etc. are catch-alls; in theory there could be 1000's of projects
from them, but in practice it seems that most of the projects on there are
dead, abandoned, or mirrored somewhere else.

The goal is to have a unique location for each package, so that two people
don't package the same thing twice (which has already happened a few times
with our current structure). Hosting seems like a good index but there
might be something else (month project was founded?).

Search, nix-env, and command-not-found remain the best way of finding
>> packages, as in https://nixos.org/wiki/Howto_find_a_package_in_NixOS.
>>
> Sorry I was not precise. The problem is to locate program nix file, not
> the name/attribute.

Well, once you have the attribute it is usually not too hard to find the
file by tracing through the code.

And some packages are spread across multiple files, e.g. kde4.okular has
the source hash in pkgs/desktops/kde-4.14/kde-package/4.14.3.nix, the
description in pkgs/desktops/kde-4.14/kdegraphics/okular.nix, and the glue
code in pkgs/desktops/kde-4.14/kde-package/default.nix. Keeping all the
relevant files in one directory seems like the most one could ask for.

-- Mathnerd314