[Nix-dev] Preference for building from source

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Fri Jan 8 11:26:35 CET 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/08/2016 11:06 AM, Juho Östman wrote:
> > As for me, I think packages should be built from source whenever it is
> possible.
>
> Building from source is always possible. That's what Hydra.nixos.org
> does for you. The binaries from there are used iff the build
> instructions are exactly the same as what is available already.

I think Juho (awesome name by the way!) was trying to figure out what the
is the general policy of nixpkgs expressions.

I would say we are pragmatic there. We prefer to build from source and use
system libraries, but if this takes to much time to implement we are also
ok with reverting to building from binaries (or partially built binaries)
from upstream.

I guess once we have enough (wo)man power we could start forcing to provide
builds from source on nixpkgs contributors. Right now we are still playing
catching game with other distros, but I have a hunch this is going to
change soon(-ish) :)

--
Rok Garbas
http://www.garbas.si