[Nix-dev] Correct XMonad Configuration

Sergiu Ivanov sivanov at colimite.fr
Sun Jan 10 16:05:29 CET 2016

Dear NixOS Community,

My name is Sergiu; I teach Computer Science and do research in
Theoretical Computer Science.  I have some experience with Haskell
development.  I came across NixOS quite some time ago and now I finally
have the opportunity to install it and maybe even try to contribute :-)

I attach my configuration.nix; here's the XMonad-related snippet:

  services.xserver.windowManager.xmonad = {
    enable = true;
    enableContribAndExtras = true;
    extraPackages = self: [
      self.xmonad-contrib
      self.xmonad-extras
    ];
  };

When I try to xmonad --recompile the following xmonad.hs:

  import XMonad
  main = xmonad defaultConfig
         { terminal = "termite"
         , modMask = mod4Mask
         , focusedBorderColor = "blue"
         }

I get the error message that the module XMonad could not be found.

I would like to minimise the number of Haskell packages installed at the
system level, so I don't add any to environment.systemPackages.  Yet,
adding xmonad, xmonad-contrib, and xmonad-extras to
environment.systemPackages (and haskellPlatform, FWIW) doesn't change
anything for me (I still get the error).

I tried cabal installing xmonad, xmonad-contrib, and xmonad-extras in a
Cabal sandbox, but I got an error about missing X11 libraries.

I haven't tried ghcWithPackages yet, because I'm really not sure it's
going to help me: after all, I'm not compiling my xmonad.hs with GHC (at
least I don't seem to be).  And then people seem to have been able to
address the issue without ghcWithPackages [0].

Do you see anything flagrant with my setup?

--
Sergiu