[Nix-dev] Overriding xorgserver in nixpkgs

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 18:07:56 CET 2016

Hello.

First, we downgraded back to xorg-server-1.17.* in b52f2f640 because of
compatibility issues. There's probably no strong enough reason to have
1.18 as the default before the binary drivers supports it.

On 01/10/2016 11:28 PM, T White wrote:
> Because /nixpkgs/pkgs/servers/x11/xorg/default.nix is a generated file I
> should not be editing that file and I should be doing an overrride
> instead. Accept I have attempted multiple times now to overrride the
> pkgs.xorg.xorgserver attributes and I just can't seem to get it right.
> My current non-working attempt involved patching replacements.nix in the
> xorg folder to contain :

Do not use replacements.nix, as it's ancient. I even removed it recently
b559020e. If you're modifying the nixpkgs tree, you can well have a
modified xorg/default.nix. Nowadays not all items in there are actually
generated - a few can't be but they're still there. Or, instead of
replacements.nix you can edit the file xorg/overrides.nix which is
strictly more powerful anyway.

(If you do this, you need no additional packageOverrides etc. That's for
changing stuff *without* modifying the nixpkgs tree itself.)

--Vladimir