[Nix-dev] Correct XMonad Configuration

Sergiu Ivanov sivanov at colimite.fr
Tue Jan 12 12:21:56 CET 2016

Hello,

Thus quoth  Taeer Bar-Yam  at 17:39 on lun, ene 11 2016:
> Are you on the unstable channel? You might want to consider switching to it.
> Using:
> $ nix-channel --remove nixos
> $ nix-channel --add https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable nixos
>
> I ran into the same exact issue, and I'm pretty sure there was a workaround using the stable channel (which I don't remember, sorry), but that this problem has been actually fixed in the unstable channel, and in fact, this is my entire xmonad setup (in configuration.nix):
>     windowManager.default = "xmonad";
>     windowManager.xmonad = {
>       enable = true;
>       enableContribAndExtras = true;
>     };
> I don't even need extraPackages.

Thanks a lot Taeer!  Switching to the unstable channel worked like a
charm!

> Correction: perhaps this will help: https://github.com/NixOS/nixos/issues/194
> That is, try adding pkgs.xlibs.xmessage to environment.systemPackages

Oh, I'd seen that page, but it didn't occur to me that adding xmessage
could solve the problem of unavailability of the XMonad module O_O

Anyway, living off nixos-unstable is perfectly fine.  I hesitated
initially, but now that I started asking questions and that I have two
very small packages I bundled on my own, I guess staying on the unstable
channel would be a good idea.

--
Sergiu