[Nix-dev] Running `nixos-install` creates new generations inside `/mnt`

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at matrix.ai
Sat Jan 30 11:01:57 CET 2016

Hi,

Since I was debugging a number of issues with my configuration on the
live ISO, I was running `nixos-install` multiple times. Every time I did
this, and the configuration change caused a change in the initrd, this
resulted in a new generation. Eventually I ran out of `/boot` space
(this was on an ESP using gummiboot).

So what's the point of having `nixos-install` create new generations,
there's no way to change generations or garbage collect generations
inside `/mnt`? My suggestion would to be make it so that `nixos-install`
never creates new generations, and always starts as if it only has 1
generation. It would make it truly idempotent.

Thanks,
Roger

--
Founder of Matrix AI