[Nix-dev] Packaging free software that costs money

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Wed Jul 6 12:27:07 CEST 2016

Free software doesn’t mean it is free as in free beer.

There are a couple of (very good) applications, that are
sold, like for example Ardour or Radium.
They are normally distributed as binaries, but come with
the source code (as required by their license).

I think nixpkgs should include them as well (if only because
executing the pre-built binaries on nixos is impossible),
but I also think it is ethically questionable to skip the
buying process.

I’m at a loss.

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es