[Nix-dev] Packaging free software that costs money

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Wed Jul 6 15:32:42 CEST 2016

On 16-07-06 10:16pm, Roger Qiu wrote:
> I've been thinking about the mechanics of FOSS app stores. If you don't want
> to handle the payments, you need to implement a kind of
> payment-authentication, where the principle is the same as dealing with
> private packages. Instead the key being used is a key that is derived from a
> successful payment.

Not to get too far off-topic, but I’m not sure whether a non-trust-based
system is possible at all when the source is freely available and
tools like nix exist. I think we are way past the point where
artificial sparsity worked, so a financing model must be based on
very low (read: close to no) overhead for the supporter.

A friend of mine might be onto something there, but it’s probably
still too early to tell.

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es