[Nix-dev] Packaging free software that costs money

Renato Alves alves.rjc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 01:18:03 CEST 2016

I have to agree with Jookia on this.
I don't think this issue concerns nix.

To be honest I'm not even sure there's an issue here. I've never heard
of something called "free open-source that costs money". The first part
negates the second.

Ardour was mentioned but I can't find a single reference to a "required
donation" on their website: https://ardour.org . The wiki is the first
page with any $ on it. There they mention a subscription model and
promise "unlimited updates". To me this only makes sense if you are
using the binary releases not if building from source.
https://www.pymol.org/ is identical in that sense. Building from source
implies no cost.

So in short, as long as the code is truly free and open-source, whatever
monetization system is used by the project (donationware, niceware,
binaryware ...), it's the developers responsibility to figure out how
they ask their users for money.