[Nix-dev] Packaging free software that costs money

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 18:25:52 CEST 2016

On 07/07/2016 03:36 PM, Christian Kauhaus wrote:
>   meta = {
>     support_url = "https://project.local/subscribe";
>   };

Yes, I currently can't see anything better to do about this "issue" (or
something similar).

As mentioned, paying for freely-licensed SW (as accepted by FSF or OSI)
is always possible but can *never* be forced (legally), so I don't think
we should make it *appear* as obligatory.

Tangent: it seems to me people are nowadays very adverse to paying for
anything they can (technically) get over the internet. Speaking of SW,
it holds especially for non-developers. When someone funds the
development, it's almost never an individual end-user. Maybe I was
unlucky or it's worse here in CZ...

--Vladimir