[Nix-dev] Packaging free software that costs money

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Fri Jul 8 11:47:41 CEST 2016

One approach that I didn't get discussed is: we could provide a wrapper
framework for paid applications.

Installing the app is as usual but the first time you run we would execute
a script that asks for a donation. The script would check in a known place
(like `~/.config/licenses/<app-name>`) if a license exists, if not the
script would print a little advertisement with a link to the site, provide
a payment framework and then install the license. The script could easily
be made compatible with command-line and X11 using `dialog` I think.

I'm not saying this is what we should do but the nice thing about that
approach is that nagware would be unified. Each app wouldn't have to
implement their own anymore.