[Nix-dev] Pinning nixpkgs on unstable channel: retention of cached packages

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Mon Jul 11 12:10:20 CEST 2016

On 16-07-11 10:54am, Maarten Hoogendoorn wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering if it's safe to depend on any commit in the unstable
> channel, and still be able to fetch the derivations build by Hydra from the
> binary cache.

You mean on the unstable channel itself? Or on commits the unstable channel
already contains?

It is only safe to assume cache.nixos.org has substitutions for commits
the unstable channel did visit. And only as long as there is no garbage-collect.
That means your safest bet is to use unstable directly and update regularly.

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es