[Nix-dev] On npm2nix and the NPM package set in Nixpkgs

Sander van der Burg svanderburg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:26:28 CEST 2016

Thanks for the reference. Actually, the change in Nixpkgs makes sense, as I
never understood why any file with a .git prefix had to be removed.
Similarly, I replicated this odd behaviour in npm2nix.

I have managed to implement a fix for this locally (which I haven't pushed
yet). The only annoying thing is that the 16.03 stable release still uses
the old git hash computation method, so I need to keep the old method
intact.

I'm still a bit puzzled on how to proceed -- I could decide to release my
npm2nix version and use the hash computation method that works with 16.03
since that's the stable version and what end-users should use. Then for the
master branch, people should switch to the development version of npm2nix
that implements the new strategy. The only thing I'm afraid of is that
people forget about this and push broken versions of the Node.js packages
to master.

Alternatively, I could make both strategies configurable through a
command-line parameter, but this is not very nice either. And still,
end-users might forget about it and break the package set.