[Nix-dev] New user problem with gnutls

Matthew Robbetts wingfeathera at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 00:13:39 CEST 2016

I have a very silly problem which I’m sure is due to my lack of understanding, but I’ve been unable to figure it out on my own (partly due to the lack of understanding in knowing what to google for!).

I have a nixos system on the nixos-unstable channel. Every now and then I'll update it with:

nix-channel —update
nixos-rebuild switch

This works fine. Recently, I’ve been hitting the gnutls test error described in https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/16610 <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/16610>. However, despite what looks like changes fixing the error having been committed two weeks ago, my nix-channel and nixos-rebuild commands still hit the same problem.

I doubt that every nixos user on unstable with gnutls installed has been living with a broken system for weeks, so I’m clearly missing something obvious here! Can anyone help a newbie?

More broadly, as a new user it is not obvious to me the connection between the git repos and what ends up on my system using the end-user tools. Is this described anywhere?

Thanks in advance!
Matt