[Nix-dev] vmTools.runInLinuxImage with ubuntu 1204 image blocks on getrandom()

Maarten Hoogendoorn maarten at moretea.nl
Sat Jul 16 15:39:12 CEST 2016

Hi there,

I'm trying to run some tests on a binary program on ubuntu 1204 using
vmTools.runInLinuxImage. It just blocks on getrandom().

I've created a minimal reproducible example:

with import <nixpkgs> {}; with pkgs;
let
 script = ''
   # /dev/urandom works fine
   dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1

  # /dev/random does not work!
   ${pkgs.strace}/bin/strace \
     dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1
 '';
  img = runCommand "nix-binary-tarball-test" {
    diskImage = vmTools.diskImages.ubuntu1204x86_64;
#    QEMU_OPTS = "-device virtio-rng-pci";
   } script;
in
  vmTools.runInLinuxImage img

I read somewhere that adding a virtio-rng-pci device could solve this, but
it made no difference.

Could someone confirm this behavior? And maybe one of you has an idea on
how to fix this.