[Nix-dev] how to go about refactoring nixos-container?

Eric Merritt eric at merritt.tech
Wed Jul 20 22:21:54 CEST 2016

Maintainers,

I have been spending a fair amount of time adding bits to `nixos-container` and expect to be spending more time there as I have started using it heavily for standing up and testing groups of systems. It's been tempting to refactor the command. Before doing that I wanted to ask the maintainers the path with the highest likelihood of being accepted, to avoid waisting a lot of time on dead ends.

1) No refactor - Maintainers think its fine as is
2) Refactor in Perl - Just cleanup the Perl, reducing globals and the like
3) Rewrite in C++ - Questionable utility, but I really do hate Perl rather a lot
4) Rewrite in an approved functional language <X>

I would strongly prefer #4 almost regardless of what that language is. However, I am pretty confident that the only approved languages for core nix stuff is C++ and Perl. That leaves 2 and 3. Probably the most sane is #2. I would be more than willing to do #3. You would have to let me know which versions of C++ are supported, hopefully its something like C++11 or C++14.