[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at matrix.ai
Fri Jul 22 11:49:10 CEST 2016

What about things that aren't necessarily small fixable bugs. Some
projects have long discussions about design or philosophy or some major
architecting. Or a bug that is pending somebody coming up with a good
solution (like for example ZFS's encryption issue which was open for
years). Will people need to constantly comment with `+1` just to reopen?
Also if an issue is closed it may increase the number of duplicate
issues, instead of adding onto the closed issue.

On 22/07/2016 7:37 PM, Wout Mertens wrote:
> That's the thing about auto-reopening, it makes sure that people
> interested in seeing the issue fixed are reminded of the issue so they
> can continue fixing it, as well as automatically weeding out the
> issues that are no longer important.
>
> All the *real* issues will stay active, since people will reopen them.
> All the rest will be available in the history.
>
> I think 14 days is enough time between reminders for an open source
> project. Shorter is annoying since we can't work on open source every
> day, and longer will just lead to more stale issues.
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM Oliver Charles <ollie at ocharles.org.uk
> <mailto:ollie at ocharles.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Agreed.
>
>     But if the problem is you think old issues are skewing the
>     results/making it hard to find the signal, then can't you just use
>     more intelligent search filters? E.g., things created in the past
>     3 months.
>
>     On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Eelco Dolstra
>     <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com <mailto:eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com>>
>     wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         On 07/22/2016 09:06 AM, Wout Mertens wrote:
>
>         > We have 1238 open issues and 286 open PRs.
>         >
>         > That is just too much to reason about.
>         >
>         > How about using something like
>         https://github.com/twbs/no-carrier which
>         > auto-closes after 14 days of inactivity, and reopens on a
>         new comment?
>
>         There is something to be said for auto-closing issues after a
>         long time (e.g.
>         Fedora auto-closes inactive issues from CURRENT-2 releases
>         ago), but 14 days is
>         waaaay to short. Bugs don't disappear after 14 days...
>
>         --
>         Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/
>         <http://nixos.org/%7Eeelco/>

Founder of Matrix AI