[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Fri Jul 22 13:07:08 CEST 2016

Exactly, we need to organize ourselves better. For me 1k+ open issues is
also a bad signal when I consider adopting a project. Closing them all is
not going to actually fix these issues,  what we need is more helping hands!

Here are a couple of aspects that I think are part of the problem:

Github issues doesn't let us forward packaging issues to the package
maintainer which is the best person to fix these issues. Some might be easy
fixed that just didn't reach the right audience. I tried subscribing to the
repo but there is way too much volume for me to handle.

Another similar issue is that the submitting person can't set flags on the
new issue he's creating. We have to rely on a core contributor for doing
that work instead, which is a waste of resource.

Right now participation is really random and it's nice to keep this freedom
but would anyone else be willing to setup a rota? If we can be more
consistent on the response times I think it would be beneficial.

What's our process to make sure issues don't fall trough the cracks? Just
writing a playbook on how to become the "ideal" maintainer would be helpful
I think.

Hmm that's it for now ^_^

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 at 11:04 Domen Kožar <domen at dev.si> wrote:

> The real question is how to organize so that we triage all incoming
> issues. Closing them is the easy part :)
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Wout Mertens <wout.mertens at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We could tag those issues with "mayor-unsolved-issue" and search for them
>> that way. Unsolvable issues are just standing in the way of solvable ones,
>> making it harder to keep the project up-to-date.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM Roger Qiu <roger.qiu at matrix.ai> wrote:
>>
>>> What about things that aren't necessarily small fixable bugs. Some
>>> projects have long discussions about design or philosophy or some major
>>> architecting. Or a bug that is pending somebody coming up with a good
>>> solution (like for example ZFS's encryption issue which was open for