[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Fri Jul 22 14:30:43 CEST 2016

I'm not a huge fan of auto-closing issues based on just activity. The one
auto-close feature I do like is the `need info` tag when you need more from
the reporter. Then the issue is closed in a week or two if they don't
respond.

The reason I don't like auto-closing issues is that it seems more like
fighting the symptom then the problem. Just because you close an issue
doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I think a better way is to get more
triager to quickly put issues on the wishlist or find an assignee. Rather
then close it is probably better to have an "important" or tag of things
that should be looked at first (and maybe try to keep that close to zero).
I see little value to closing issues just because we don't want to work on
them right now.

It is really painful that only commiters can add tags because I would love
to help out with triaging more then just commenting (I think comments often
have low value because you can't filter on them).

One other thing that might help is I remember a service that would send a
couple of open issues to your inbox to help divide the load of triaging.
I'm going to see if I can find it again as it would probably be useful.