[Nix-dev] Customizing kernel options and thoroughly failing.

Matthew Robbetts wingfeathera at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 00:06:11 CEST 2016

Having only just realized that my ath10k driver is built by default without DFS support, I need to modify my kernel options. Googling turned up:
https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_tweak_Linux_kernel_config_options <https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_tweak_Linux_kernel_config_options>

This lead me to include:

nixpkgs.config.packageOverrides = pkgs: rec {
	stdenv = pkgs.stdenv // {
		platform = pkgs.stdenv.platform // {
			kernelExtraConfig =
                        ''
                                    CONFIG_EXPERT y
                                    CONFIG_CFG80211_CERTIFICATION_ONUS y
                                    CONFIG_ATH10K_DFS_CERTIFIED y
                        '';
			};
		};

in my configuration.nix, as these appear to be the three options I need to add. So far so good.

However, when I try to realize this new configuration, the kernel build fails with:

unused option: CONFIG_ATH10K_DFS_CERTIFIED

If I comment that option, just for kicks, I then fail with:

unused option: CONFIG_CFG80211_CERTIFICATION_ONUS

What am I missing here? Something obvious, I expect! I’ve turned up the following pages with similar seeming failures, but they’re just output dumps with no context:
http://pastebin.com/jAMxyzJA
http://pastebin.com/4sxGZdaq
https://gist.github.com/thorhop/1dc181a40f5320b22ff0

Thanks,