[Nix-dev] A few beginner issues

Nick Sabalausky bus_nixos_list at semitwist.com
Sat Jul 30 05:54:59 CEST 2016

On 07/29/2016 11:14 PM, Peter Hoeg wrote:

> Could you try with kde5 instead of kde4? KDE5 is getting all the love
> these days so maybe a bug snuck in there?

Ok, just tried now...

Gotta say, I'm thrilled how painless it was to switch from KDE4 to KDE5
and back again. Exactly the sort of reason I've been unsatisfied with
other distros and so intrigued by NixOS. Just changed the
"...kde4.enable = true"/"...kdm.enable = true" to "...kde5.enable =
true"/"...sddm.enable = true" and "nixos-rebuild switch && reboot". And
just reverse the changes (or select old config from boot menu) to undo
it, and it just works :) Really like the idea of being able to try
things out without as much risk of messing things up or being stuck with
the changes.

In KDE5/SDDM, my resolution settings changes DO persist, although only
after the login screen. Which I suppose makes sense since I was changing
the setting AS a logged in user. Seems as though with KDE4/KDM it just
isn't loading any per-user resolution setting upon login (or maybe isn't
saving it).

Is there a NixOS way to set a default resolution (presumably in
configuration.nix) that would apply to the login screen? Or would it
just be though whatever the display manager's (or X's) normal approach
for doing that as with any other linux distro?