[Nix-dev] How to use .nixpkgs/config.nix?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 20:14:20 CEST 2016

On 06/05/2016 03:46 PM, Mateusz Czaplinski wrote:
> The config.nix from Kamil Chmielewski [1] seems somewhat
> acceptable to me at first sight, but I still don't get why config.nix
> seems so much more complicated than configuration.nix? Is it possible
> to make it simpler?

You seem only to want to define your own `all` set within
`packageOverrides`, so you can drop all the rest. To me that doesn't
seem significantly more complicated than with `systemPackages`.

> I'd like to start with a simplest config which would let me add some
> packages which would be available for my user immediately after login
> (also when logging in straight to an X session).

Note that you always manage ~/.nix-profile in the "imperative style",
i.e. you have to run `nix-env -Q -iA nixos.all` command (or similar) to
install/update that set.

--Vladimir