[Nix-dev] NixOps - merge config files

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:43:01 CEST 2016

On 9 June 2016 at 08:54, 4levels <4levels at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've modified my nixops deploy to have keys.nix loaded after the servers.nix and platforms.nix files, but I keep getting errors like "the attribute password does not exist"

What's the output of: 'nixops info' for your deployment?

> The underlying reason is that I'm using git-crypt to encrypt the platforms.nix file, but this makes it impossible to work with branches (or git logs) etc. as the whole file is encrypted and git cannot merge binary files (it simply replaces them).

I'm also using git-crypt to secure my secrets. I would suggest not
encrypting the full nix expression but just the actual secret like:

  {
    services.symfony.platforms.database.password = builtins.readFile
./secrets/database-password;
  }

then encrypt everything under ./secrets.

Regards,

Bas