[Nix-dev] Haskell Development and Deployment Strategies (was: Stackage Support Will Be Discontinued)

Peter Simons simons at nospf.cryp.to
Fri Jun 10 13:23:42 CEST 2016

Fellow Haskell Hackers,

Nix gives you great freedom to choose how to develop and deploy your
Haskell software. That's good, but at the same time that flexibility can
be confusing and feel like a burden. Therefore, I'd like to shed some
light on this issue and discuss different types of strategies and their
respective pros and cons. Which strategy is best for you depends on what
you would like to achieve:

  1. I want the latest version of every package as quickly as possible
     because I love it when build attempts result in hundreds of
     compiler errors that I can fix.

  2. I want my Haskell packages to be up-to-date, but I also want my
     builds to be reliable. I don't mind fixing the occasional build
     error, but I mean, like, *occasionally*.

  3. I want my Haskell package set to be rock solid. I don't want any
     updates unless there is a major security issue or a severe bug that
     threatens the integrity of my system.

  4. I want total control over my entire package set.

Now, let's go through the options those types of users have.

If you favor features over stability as in (1), then you should develop
with 'cabal-install', really. Nixpkgs might be useful for installing
your favorite development tools like GHC, cabal, stack, alex, happy,
Emacs, vi, etc., but installing bleeding-edge Haskell libraries via Nix
is not a use-case we try to fulfill. If you absolutely *want* bleeding
edge libraries in Nix, then you'll have to define those builds yourself
with cabal2nix. The Nixpkgs user manual [1] explains how to do this.

Users who want a balance of features and stability as in (2) should base
their efforts on haskell.packages.lts, which will become haskellPackages
after the imminent re-organization. That package set is continuously
tested on hydra.nixos.org (or rather: it will be soon) and therefore
tends to compile successfully on all platforms. It receives point
updates that fix bugs and security issues, yet package APIs don't change
so updates are unlikely to cause trouble. On the rare occasion that
updates do cause trouble, Nixpkgs users usually commit fixes for these
issues rather quickly. Every now and then, a fundamental package like
"aeson" or "ghc" releases an update that breaks the API but that is
desirable to have for any number of reasons, and then API-breaking
updates *will* appear in that package set and they will require you to
deal with them in your software. That kind of thing happens once or
twice per year, and it's always announced and discussed beforehand by
the Stackage team.

If the term "API change" just caused your blood pressure to spike
because the last thing you want is to deal with any API-breaking
updates, then you belong into category (3) and you should never use the
'unstable' version of Nixpkgs. Instead, work with haskell.packages.lts
in the release-16.03 branch (or haskellPackages in the release-16.09
branch, once it comes out). The Haskell package sets in release branches
hardly ever change, and if they do, then the changes will be (a) minor
and (b) important. API-breaking changes occur only in life-and-death
situations, and there will be some kind of announcement and discussion
before the change hits the release branch.

Last but not least, people who run high-profile production systems tend
prefer option (4). Now, if you want complete control over your system,
then by definition you'll have to manage that system yourself. You can
pick any version of Nixpkgs you like, check out the appropriate revision
from the Git repository, and configure:

  export NIX_PATH="nixpkgs=$HOME/src/nixpkgs"

There you go: this system won't change unless you want it to. Suppose
you *do* want it to change for some reason, then you can ...

 a) update the checkout to a different revision,

 b) cherry-pick commits into your copy from other branches or even other
    repositories, or

 c) configure overrides in configuration.nix or ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix
    that replace certain packages with those versions that you'd like to
    have. The Nixpkgs manual explains how to do this at [2].

Obviously, there can be variations of those development strategies, i.e.
it's always possible to extend the Haskell package set in Nixpkgs with
an override that adds some particular package version you'd like to use
or which undoes an update Nixpkgs made but that you don't want to have.
To some extend you can also influence the decisions made in Nixpkgs by
editing the hackage2nix configuration file [3] or by committing an
override in [4]. Furthermore, the tools that generate the Haskell code
in Nixpkgs are all open-source [5] and you can use them to roll your own
personal distribution that does exactly what you want.

Now, no doubt there will be users who see themselves somewhere between
categories (3) and (4) who'd like to have the benefits of Nix available
but who don't want to bother extending or managing the package set
themselves in any way. These users probably run businesses and
production sites and they basically want Nix to solve their deployment
problems for them without having to acquire lots and lots of Nix
knowledge themselves. If you are one of those users, then your best bet
to get what you want is to pay some Nix developer money to do contract
work for you.

Best regards,
Peter

[1] http://nixos.org/nixpkgs/manual/#how-to-create-nix-builds-for-your-own-private-haskell-packages
[2] http://nixos.org/nixpkgs/manual/#how-to-override-package-versions-in-a-compiler-specific-package-set
[3] pkgs/development/haskell-modules/configuration-hackage2nix.yaml
[4] pkgs/development/haskell-modules/configuration-*.nix
[5] https://github.com/NixOS/cabal2nix/