[Nix-dev] Transparent Hugepage Support & Redis

4levels 4levels at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 12:00:18 CEST 2016

Hi Nix-Devs,

when starting Redis I keep getting warnings about Transparent Hugepage
Support being enabled in the kernel and how this may negatively impact
Redis' performance.

According to Redis, I should disable this by setting
/sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled to "never".

Currently this file reads: "always [madvise] never"

   1. Should I disabled this (I'm sure it's on with a good reason)
   2. If so, how? I've seen this option here:
   https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/common-config.nix

   3. Or is there a better way to only disable this for Redis only?  My
   guess would be something like "always [madvise redis] never"

Kind regards,

Erik aka 4levels