[Nix-dev] When creating a bridge interface, the bridge doesn't appear

Matthew Robbetts wingfeathera at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 02:28:54 CEST 2016

Hi list,

I am configuring a new nixOS system. My machine has two ethernet interfaces (enp3s0 and enp4s0) and one wireless interface (wlp5s0). I want to bridge the wireless with one of the ethernets, so in my configuration.nix I add:

networking = {
    bridges.br0.interfaces = [ "enp4s0" "wlp5s0" ];
and run nixos-rebuild switch.

I observe in the output that, among other things, a
/nix/store/z18i1q0r4i2bn0vkpcz45d10nn0628nf-unit-br0-netdev.service/br0-netdev.service
is created. However, ifconfig does not show the new bridge interface.

If I manually run:
systemctl start br0-netdev.service

the bridge interface appears.

Probably I am doing something wrong, but I would have expected the bridge to appear immediately as a result of nixos-rebuild switch.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks,
Matt