[Nix-dev] Raspberry-Pi NixOS

Tuomas Tynkkynen tuomas.tynkkynen at iki.fi
Fri Jun 17 09:35:38 CEST 2016

> Hi viric,
> Hi dezgeg,
>
> I just found the wiki page on nixos on the raspberry[0], where you two are
> referenced as creators.

That page is quite old, https://nixos.org/wiki/NixOS_on_ARM has some
newer stuff.
Though the ARMv7 image listed there doesn't have the necessary RPi bootloader
things added - that's not hard to add but I don't have a board to test with.

> May I ask whether this is still present? I plan on buying a Raspberry Pi model
> B, 3rd generation and build a small handheld linux terminal (see [1]) with it,
> but I really want to run nixos on it and be able to deploy software for it from
> my other devices (mainly because of recompilation times - or are there a nixpkgs
> substitutes for ARM available?).

There are a couple of packages and installation images getting
regularly built (on
master / nixos-unstable) and hosted on an university server.

> So my question is basically: Is this article still relevant to the current
> situation, as the article is almost one year old?

The problem is probably that https://nixos.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_2 has
a Nix that is too old to evaluate current Nixpkgs (as someone else mentioned
downthread, which makes things slightly tricky.