[Nix-dev] On commit naming conventions

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Wed May 4 13:26:27 CEST 2016

Each contributor has his own motivations and every round were we provide
feedback is another one where we might lose the contributor. He might run
out of energy, or have moved onto other things.

Even after improving the CONTRIBUTING.md, naming of commits is still a
really big friction to getting valid code into nixpkgs. I'm talking of how
commits should be named after a patter like "package: init at x.y.z" or
"package: a.b.c -> x.y.z".

I must admit I don't really know the motivations behind this rule. All I
can think of it that we could theoretically build some tooling and get
pretty cool stats out of it. And that spelunking git history becomes a tiny
bit easier.

Given all that I think we should reconsider that rule. In my opinion if a
contributor submits valid nix code that is useful to the project we should
just be able to merge it and move forward. For me it's more important than
the commit naming rule.

Opinions ?