[Nix-dev] Feedback requested: new `boot.kernelPatches` option

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Thu May 5 15:12:32 CEST 2016

Just got some random thoughts attached to what you said. makeObject looks
like a cleaner implementation of lib.makeOverridable which is used to wrap
all callPackage derivations. I haven’t thought deeply about that stuff
though.

Regarding the naming, I think in nix an “object” is a set that has a
“_type” attribute (see lib/types.nix). Except for the derivation who uses
the “type” attribute without the underscore for some reason. makeOverridable
is actually not too bad if it can supersede that function.

Regarding the kernel, instead of splitting the options around, wouldn’t it
be cool if the kernel could just be overridden and then set as an option
like this:

boot.kernel = pkgs.kernel.override {
  patches = [ ./my-patch.patch ];
};

With package sets where there is a primary dependency we could also decide
to define is as pass-trough from that package itself. So instead of having
to set a kernelPackages that matches we could start using
pkgs.kernel.packages so everything is bundled together (provided the
override works as intended).
​