[Nix-dev] Nixbot - a little helper for pull requests

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Fri May 6 12:05:37 CEST 2016

On 16-05-06 08:19am, Michael Raskin wrote:
> >You can see it doing its thing here:
> >
> >    https://github.com/nixbot/nixpkgs-sandbox/pull/9

> >So, thoughts and comments on this approach?

I for one welcome our new cuteness overlord.

Love the idea, because it makes it possible that people can maintain
3–4 packages and update them frequently.
It’s the only way to keep nixpkgs growing in a sane way.

Now, we already have a „maintainer“ meta-field, so we should use that
to generate the access rights.
This way we also get a nice system, where people with push access
confirm the maintainer by merging his name into the field.

> I think most people who would get nixbot access will currently get full
> commit access by promising not to touch things when they are not sure
> they understand the code. And if people do not know that, once in a few
> months I run the vanity counter to find high-commit-count people without
> commit access and inform them that they have a good chance to get commit
> access for pushing updates and similar low-controversy changes.

You are right, but a few dozen high-commit people won’t be able to maintain
20k packages (or related PRs) without burning out quickly.
It just doesn’t work that way.

Arch only works so well because there is the gigantic AUR.

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es