[Nix-dev] Nixbot - a little helper for pull requests

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Fri May 6 12:49:58 CEST 2016

i love the idea. still it needs to be extended

 - this bot could be a guard to submit PR to hydra. eg. check how many
things will get rebuild and then see if we "afford" to build it. i
think this guard is what it was holding us back to start building
things on hydra ... @eelco your thoughts? would that be ok?

- another cool thing is that it would be nice to automatically merge
if somebody only changes version number (and that does not trigger to
much of a rebuild). how i envision this is that package can provide
default.json where we store all the metadata of a certain package,
(this is also where version is specified) if bot detects that only
default.json is changes and that PR is build by hydra successfully
then it can automatically merge it. and ofcourse this would be an
opt-in option for a package (eg. keeping a list of packages which we
allow to automerge).

well anyway i have few more ideas but above 2 i think are worth
tackling first. and also i'd love to contribute to this (will ping you
on irc)

i guess nixbox is not really nix specific, maybe different name would
be a nice indicator that it can be used outside of nixpkgs.
i would definitely like to take it as a base (with few of my custom
workflows) for my custom projects. i guess then it needs to be
possible to extend it.