[Nix-dev] Documentation for multiple-outputs in nixpkgs

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Wed May 11 11:16:42 CEST 2016

On 05/11/2016 10:55 AM, Edward Tjörnhammar wrote:
> What seems to be missing is some text detailing how the aggregating
> attribute is related to its outputs. Specifically what is the difference
> between referring to "attribute" and "attribute.out", when does it make
> sense to just refer to the aggregating attribute and will "out" go
> away(the default in the manual specifies "dev" being the default)?

Ah, good catch. I took a note so I don't forget that.

Shortly, the language makes *the first* output the default, when using
the packages as values. That is currently "dev" in most cases, but it's
possible "we" will change that to fit more use cases in string
anti-quotations and other places https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/14766

I personally don't see why "out" might go away.

--Vladimir