[Nix-dev] Building ghcjs-dom

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Tue Nov 1 16:58:17 CET 2016

On 16-11-01 09:10am, Rodney Lorrimar wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I would really like this package to build:
>
>   nix-build -A pkgs.haskell.packages.ghcjs.ghcjs-dom
>
> I found that the layout upstream has changed, so updated the overrides
> accordingly (see patch below).
>
> My current problem is that it won't build without Cabal >= 1.24.
>
> If I use (addBuildTool super.ghcjs-dom-jsffi [ self.cabal-install ]),
> then it builds Cabal 1.24 as javascript, which is not quite what I want.
>
> Does anyone know how I could make it build?

I have been debugging this for the last week, and I found out that
it’s a bug in the Cabal library used by the ghcjs native compiler (ghc-7.10.3).

The ghc 7.10.3 compiler distribution ships with Cabal 1.22.5, and that
has a bug where the package.conf files needed by GHC are generated wrongly
by Cabal 1.22.5 (the break reexported module statements on `:`.

I’m working on a fix, but this has been the most aggravating bug I have
every encountered. Also it required deep knowledge of the nix language,
the haskell packaging and structure of both Cabal and GHC packages to
even find out where the problem lies. .-.

tl;dr: I will hopefully push a fix shortly.

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es