[Nix-dev] Bot that replies to PR with review points based on files that were touched

saffronsnail at hushmail.com saffronsnail at hushmail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:58:41 CET 2016

Hello,
I am a lurker on both this mailing list and the llvm-dev mailing list.
They recently had a similar discussion about welcome-bots, which you
can find starting here:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-November/106696.html.
They discussed the idea of having a volunteer group of "first
responders" who will look at a file and point out obvious problems
with formatting, etc. but make it clear that the patch will need
further review by a code owner unless it is a small bugfix or
something along those lines. This allows them to give feedback that is
more likely to be read and followed (I know I'm more attentive when I
read human messages rather than bot messages) without giving a
misleading impression of the acceptance of the pull.
I hope this is helpful to you,saff

On 11/4/2016 at 9:39 AM, freddyrietdijk at fridh.nl wrote:Hi,

Currently we have the mention-bot that checks which files PR modifies,
and
then mentions users that have modified those files before or are
explicitly
watching those files. These contributors can then check the PR and
maybe
come up with specific questions regarding the PR.

I'm looking for a bot that checks which files are touched, and that
gives a
pre-configured message depending on the files that are touched. E.g.,
when
Python files are touched I would like the bot to reply to the PR with
message that includes an additional checklist with questions like
whether
the modifications were tested with all interpreters, and whether tests
are
run.

Such a bot I think would be extremely useful since, even though our
manual
is getting more extensive and includes a lot of points that
contributors
should consider, that is also the problem; it becomes overwhelming.
Both
new as well as longtime contributors will miss points that should be
checked.

Do you happen to know such a bot? If so, please let me know.
Otherwise, I
think we will have to build one or maybe extend the mention-bot with
this
feature.

Freddy