[Nix-dev] Nix Infographics?

Matan Shenhav matan at fluxcraft.net
Wed Nov 23 14:46:47 CET 2016

Dear Nixperts,

As a novice I have a hard time visualizing the relationships between various aspects of the Nix ecosystem. Are there any existing graphical overviews of the Nix ecosystem?

If not, I volunteer to produce a series of diagrams and infographics publishable in the documentation (I have a background in graphic design).

To do so I need a little help from you guys:

Sketch diagram proposals by pen, photograph/scan them, and send them back on this thread for comments.

I will combine these into a series of diagrams that can be embedded in the documentation, also submitting them here for comments.

Finally, I will combine the whole series into a single infographic overview of the Nix ecosystem.

These are my naive ideas about what could be helpful diagrams, feel free to propose an alternative scheme:

Anatomy of Nix Expressions.

The relationships between basic components such packages, channels, and environments.

The relationships between Nix, NixOS, Nixpkgs and NixOps.

Overview of the community development lifecycle, and relationship between the various official channels/repos.

Examples of operational workflows, configuration/package structures, etc.

Cheers,

Matan

 * * * * *

Matan Bendix Shenhav