[Nix-dev] Nix Infographics?

Eric Sagnes eric.sagnes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 03:57:49 CET 2016

I made a few diagrams to introduce nix structure and the relations between the
components for a talk. [1]

Text is in Japanese, but the source (inkscape SVG) is on github. [2]

[1] https://github.com/Tokyo-NixOS/presentations/tree/master/nixos-2016-02-osc/assets
[2] https://github.com/Tokyo-NixOS/presentations/tree/master/nixos-2016-02-osc/sources

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 03:46:47PM +0200, Matan Shenhav wrote:
> Dear Nixperts,
>

> As a novice I have a hard time visualizing the relationships between various aspects of the Nix ecosystem. Are there any existing graphical overviews of the Nix ecosystem?
>

> If not, I volunteer to produce a series of diagrams and infographics publishable in the documentation (I have a background in graphic design).
>

> To do so I need a little help from you guys:
>
> Sketch diagram proposals by pen, photograph/scan them, and send them back on this thread for comments.
>

> I will combine these into a series of diagrams that can be embedded in the documentation, also submitting them here for comments.
>

> Finally, I will combine the whole series into a single infographic overview of the Nix ecosystem.
>

> These are my naive ideas about what could be helpful diagrams, feel free to propose an alternative scheme:
>
> Anatomy of Nix Expressions.
>

> The relationships between basic components such packages, channels, and environments.
>

> The relationships between Nix, NixOS, Nixpkgs and NixOps.
>

> Overview of the community development lifecycle, and relationship between the various official channels/repos.
>

> Examples of operational workflows, configuration/package structures, etc.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Matan
>

>  * * * * *
>
> Matan Bendix Shenhav